September 12 – September 23, 2016
These Weeks We . . .
· were introduced to 7 letters, Bb, Ff, Tt, Ii, Uu, Mm, and Nn. We practiced their sound and how to write them, we talked about vowels and why they are special letters
· made a Chicka, Chicka, Name, Name tree to make a Chicka, Chicka, Name, Name quilt in the hallway, you can see it at Open House
· read the book “School” and “I Am” added “I”, “school”, “am” and “see” to our word wall, ASK ME to read my copy I brought home to you and let’s find a special place to keep all my books I bring home
· used magnetic boards to find the sounds we learned and practiced putting our letters in ABC order
· worked hard on learning the meaning of numbers 0 to 5, we practiced making sets, writing them, 3 ways to represent them with objects, the number itself and the word
· talked about the seasons and welcomed fall on Thursday
· started Reader’s Workshop – we sing a special gathering song, then go to the rug for a mini-lesson where we learn something new to help us with learning to read – did you know, “We are readers!”. We practiced reading on our own “private” reading and reading with a partner. We practiced with “learning about the world” books. We discovered “wow” pages in these books and shared them with a partner, we learned you read starting with the cover and go to the next page, then the next till the end and we learned about rereading our books to discover more interesting information.
· Heard the story of Chrysanthemum and illustrated what made us feel “wilted” and when we feel “bloomed”, ASK ME what made Chrysanthemum feel wilted and bloomed, and we compared how many letters in our name, her name and a friend’s name. Check it out in the hallway when you come to Open House
*Tuesday and Thursday - Gym – wear sneakers
*Wednesday – Library – bring back my book
*Thursday – OPEN HOUSE – let’s go!