September 28- October 9, 2015
These Weeks We . . .
· were introduced to 4 letters Rr, Ii, Oo and Gg. We practiced their sound and how to write them, ASK ME why Oo and Ii are a special letter and on a pink card
· added 2 new words to our word wall “to” and “like” after reading the books I Like and Lunch, I brought home my own copy of them - let’s read them together
· talked about friends and friendships, read many stories about friends, including Hunter’s Best Friend at School, ASK ME if Stripe was a good friend to Hunter
· also created a class book using all our word wall words “I am ____”; “I see ____” and “I like ____” we had to write our classmates name and glue on a picture of them to finish the sentence
· had Writer’s Workshop drew and labeled our family, and we drew a self portrait for September doing something at school, ASK ME what I drew
· saw a quick video on Johnny Appleseed and Christopher Columbus
· used magnetic boards to find the sounds we learned
· worked hard on learning the meaning of numbers 0 to 5, we practiced making sets, writing them, 3 ways to represent them with objects, the number itself and the word
· we started our school wide the “Eyes and Hi’s” program, danced into school to the song “Happy”
· started our science unit on Trees and Weather, we went out to observe the trees in our schoolyard then illustrated what we saw in our science notebook, we also labeled the parts of a tree in our notebook.
· Had fun at Reader’s Workshop discovering “wow” pages in our learn about the world books and shared them with our partners. Started to read storybooks by examining the pictures and making sure words match with the picture. We also got to act like teachers and read a storybook to a stuffed animal. ASK ME who I read to and who is my partner
· Lt. Findelin with the Norfolk Fire Department came and spoke with us about fire safety and we made a class Fire Safety book. He said we should plan a meeting spot in case of an emergency.
· had our first AIMM’s (Art, Integrated Technology, Music and Movement) meeting, all the kindergartener’s were together with our “Special” teachers learning and having fun, ASK ME how it was and who was the best dancer
Have a wonderful Columbus Day weekend,
enjoy the beautiful weather